The Best Menstrual Cup for Women
What is a menstrual cup? For a growing number of women, the best menstrual cup is a comfortable, sustainable and healthful way to experience a period. They can provide up to 12-hours of leak-free protection—great for working out, swimming or sleeping in.
Also called period cups, these unique feminine products just as sustainable as they are comfortable. What is a menstrual cup made from? EverCup is made from 100% medical-grade silicone which can last up to 10 years. That’s 10 years without putting pads and tampons in landfills.
Not all products are of the same quality: The best menstrual cups are made from licensed manufacturers who hold their products to the highest quality standards. That’s why our partner EverCup makes all their FDA-licensed cups in the USA. Here are 9 questions you should answer before purchasing your next feminine care product.
The following is not medical advice. Please contact your doctor for specific information about which feminine product is right for you.
What Is a Menstrual Cup? Beginner 101
What is a menstrual cup? It’s a small, flexible device made out of silicone designed to collect your period within your body. Though it is inserted (similar to tampons), these unique devices do not absorb your flow; Instead, they hold it until you can empty and rinse it in a safe place.
Why Is a Menstrual Cup More Healthful Than a Tampon?
For starters, conventional pads and tampons often contain bleach and other chemicals that many women do not want inside their bodies. Even feminine products that are bleach-free can also contain unwanted, hormonal-disrupting elements such as BPA, chlorine and dioxin (a highly toxic pollutant according to the EPA), rayon and non-organic cotton that has been treated with pesticides.
The best menstrual cup is made from 100% medical-grade silicone. That means that it’s BPA, plastic, and bleach-free. However, not all feminine products are held to the same quality standards.
How Do You Choose the Best Menstrual Cup?
Choosing the right product for you isn’t an intuitive process. There are many factors to consider when it comes down to choosing a cup brand and the right size for your body. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before buying:
- Where was it made? Great products can come from all over the world, but many women believe that the best menstrual cups are made in the USA. This is due to the high levels of regulatory and quality oversight, compared to overseas factories which may not use the same quality ingredients.
- Is it FDA registered? Though these feminine care products cannot technically be FDA-approved because they’re not a medical device, it’s important to know that they’re FDA-registered. This means that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) paid the factory a visit to audit all of its processes.
- Is it 100% medical-grade silicone? Silicone is far from the only ingredient that can be found in menstrual cups. Keep in mind that silicone is expensive, so less reputable companies will sub in latex or other, cheaper materials.
- Does it offer 12 hours of leak-free protection? One of the best features of menstrual cups is how long you can use them for. Pay close attention to their suggested maximum use time.
- Does it have holes punched in the side up top to break the seal? For health and safety, it’s crucial to be able to break your menstrual cup seal when you’re learning how to use a menstrual cup. Feminine products without these can cause a suction, which can cause discomfort.
- Does it offer different sizes? Some younger women (under 18) prefer a small size, whereas women who have had children typically require a larger period cup. If you have any further questions please contact your gynecologist.
- Is it comfortable? The best menstrual cup will be made from soft silicone that you won’t even feel.
- Is it easy to use? Every woman needs a clean and sustainable place to store her cup. EverCup is currently the only brand we know of that offers a specially-designed case also made from 100% medical grade silicone.
Why Are Menstrual Cups Sustainable?
There are approximately 2 billion menstruating women alive right now. Each one of them has her period once a month for approximately 30 years, generating 6.5 lb of waste every 10 years if she uses pads and tampons.
Much of this tampon and pad waste contains chemicals that can leech in to the earth. Why dispose of so much single use waste when there’s a more comfortable, healthier and longer-lasting form of period protection out there?
What is a menstrual cup? It’s an affordable and healthful way to replace 6.5 lb of waste every 10 years.
The Best Menstrual Cup Is Comfortable, Healthy and Made in the USA
EverCup is dedicated to producing the highest-quality menstrual cups right here in Maine. Not only are they FDA-registered and made from 100% medical grade silicone, but EverCup’s female-lead design team researched far and wide to find the softest, most supple silicone.
Today, EverCup is also working to bring sustainable feminine care products to women experiencing period poverty. They’ve partnered with organization in the United States and India to donate thousands of sustainable cups and cases to women in need.
The above information is not medical advice. If you have any specific questions about whether or not a menstrual cup is right for you, please contact your medical practitioner.